Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Eff you doctor- I'm billing you!

Below you will find the invoice that I'm submitting to my neurologist. Now, this can go a few ways- I will get a positive response, a negative response, or fired as a patient. Regardless, I believe I made my point. Sometimes people need reminders that there are other fish in other fish tanks. Call me snarky, unreasonable, irrational, whatever you want... I used my 'I' messages so as to de-puff any feathers that might get ruffled. And I really don't care to get sued for libel or slander so I didn't list his name or his company...Ask yourself what would you do? Would you fight? Sit and take it? Do doctors have an excuse to be irresponsible in making good on follow through? They're human- we all make mistakes- I get that. When do we demand excellence in our healthcare though? He works for me- not the other way around. If I left it wouldn't hurt his bottom line at all, but I sure do have a big mouth :)

INVOICE:
Term: 30 days


Description                                        Quantity                           Unit Price                      Cost

Time spent waiting for call            36 working hours               $50.00                         $1,800
back- M-F 9/10-9/14 + 9/17-
 allowing 6 hours per day
   
Compensation for 3 calls minimum         3                               $ 35.00                       $ 105.00
in to XYZ

Gas mileage for 2 personal visits to         2                               $ 20.00                        $ 40.00
office for phone call reminders  

Promise to call a Px back by the end of    1                           $ 1,000.00                  $ 1,000.00
the week and failing to do so for
unreasonable period of time.   


Recalling Px time is as valuable as Doctor time   1               $ 1,000.00                 $ 1,000.00

Failing to communicate collaboration with PCP    1               $ 500.00                   $ 500.00

Compensation for anxiety and stress to Px        1                    $ 1,000.00                 $ 1,000.00

Preemptive strike against excuses           1                                $ 50.00                     $ 50.00
   
                                                                                          Subtotal    $ 5,495.00

                                                                                           Tax    8.25%    $ 453.34
                                                                                                                              
                                                                                            Total    $ 5,948.34

Dr. XYZ,

Above you will find an itemized list with the associated fees. I regard my time as valuable and would like to see that professional courtesy returned. I left my appointment on 9/4/2012 with several reassurances that I would receive a personal phone call back ‘by the end of this week’ meaning no later than 9/7/2012. Since that time I have made multiple calls and personal visits to the office. This is a complete mockery of me and my time.

As a patient I am expected to arrive on time, money in hand, or face a charge for missing an appointment plus another 8 month wait to be seen again. As my medical provider I expect the same courtesies in return. I expect my cashier at the drive thru to provide me with courtesy and completeness  of my order- so I have even higher expectations for the doctors I employ for my care.

As of 9/18 I still have zero direction on my health care, zero direction on any potential new ailments as it was stated my (now OVER a year long) current symptoms are unrelated to MS, I have zero direction on tests, spinal taps, MRI, and the sort that need to be completed, and I have zero direction on a return appointment.

The initial 72 hour wait time was a reasonable request, tho typical is 24 hours for most professionals. The 336 hours that have passed are beyond reasonable- also note the multiple phone calls and personal visits to the office in which to remind that a phone call was still needed. Therefore, I am submitting this invoice to demonstrate that I can not live in stasis, that I need an immediate response, and to point out that a promise to call ‘by the end of the week’ means by the end of the week. When our health is failing- every day, every hour, and every minute count.


Sincerely yours,

Sonja Armstrong



(I am still in need of funds for surgery if you find a spare $5.00 and don't need food, gas, or to pay your own bills I could put it to good use! And, I can juggle for it too!)