Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The midnight hour...

I've been mentally and physically preparing for this procedure for what seems like a very long time now. My emotions have been sky high, my hopes and dreams have been dangling right in front of within grasp... And life has a funny way of introducing a different agenda at the midnight hour.

My neurologist is fabulous. I went through hell, if you recall, to see him in the first place. After a terrible appointment with his now former colleague, the flaming hoops I had to jump through with his office manager, and the sea of poison sea urchins I had to swim past, I finally made it in. Well, I'm not the only one in this city that knows his reputation. So seeing him is practically impossible. I see my primary care doctor for pretty much all of my needs, MS included. It has been over 1 year since I've actually seen my neurologist. What doesn't help is that both my primary care doctor AND neurologist don't want me seeing the Nurse Practitioners. Only the doctors will do for this little lady. Today, the day before I fly away to get my life back, I finally see him. And it was a whopper.

It had been so long since I'd been to his office that, not only did they move offices, all of my information was in need of renewal. So I sat there, pen in hand, clipboard in lap, filling out the same paperwork I did all those years ago. And after 92 years of waiting, I made it back for my appointment.

The chats are always the same- what's new, what's changed, how are you feeling, blah blah blah boring blah. Today however, I had a lot of updating to do. First it was the shock that my migraines have increased. I have as many in one month as I used to in one year... Then it was the low grade fever I've been walking around with for (you'll all LOVE this) nearly 1 year. Yep, I've had a fever for ONE YEAR. Yes, you may shake your head. It's persistent to say the least. Then came the update about weirdo green discharge coming out of my breast for ONE YEAR. Isn't that lovely? Then the brain fog, then the memory issues, then the ferocious fatigue, and the this that and the other too... Neurologist is now firing up the hamsters, wheels are spinning, he leaves the room and comes back a few times to check various tests, labs, MRI's, etc., that I've had done in the past, and finally he sits back down.

Just as an aside- I am really tempted to write THE END here and leave it at that. Oh the cruelty! I won't be an ass... I'll continue on.

So there we are sitting. My top half is completely drenched in sweat because it's so hot, my lower half is freezing cold. "Sonja" he says, "your MRI's are showing that you are improving. There is absolutely NO way that your set of symptoms is related to MS." WHAT?!?! Brain fog doesn't have fever as a symptom, nor do any of my other gremlins that are lurking about. He said that he believes that there are 3 things that could be causing my gremlins to multiply- and water is not one of them.

1. Depression- totally makes sense right? I've lost my ability to do what I once could, I have lost my income, I have to fly far away for a procedure that isn't covered and is causing anxiety and stress so it fits right? Depression doesn't have fever and nipple discharge. 2. Tumors- ummmm... my MRI's are showing that my brain is fabulous (pat self on back and laugh at all no brainer jokes here) so tumors are out. Or 3. Unknown underlying systemic issue. Guess which one we went with... #3. So what does this all mean? I'll tell you in a bit.

Chloe is home sick. I'm not very happy about this. Dan has no time off for work. Me flying out to Dayton means sick Chloe goes to school. Chloe when sick has a tendency to stop breathing. Not good. Sonja is now sick. Flying to another city and having a procedure while sick? Fabulous. Doctor's collaborating about the hot mess that is currently my nervous/neurological/systemic components of Sonja. I'm getting yelled at here and I have to listen.

My brain has improved, by body isn't working right. I am now the proud owner of a new title called 'unknown diagnosis'. My neurologist and I think that it is extremely important that I get another MRI done to rule out any rapidly growing tumors, and to get another spinal tap done to see what my immune system is up too. He agrees that one year is a tad excessive to be sporting a fever and green sludge from good ole righty. He wants this done ASAP.

One thing about being sick with MS is that it makes my body go into a total tailspin. NOTHING functions properly. NOTHING. I'm ok with it now. It used to freak me out. But once the cold/flu goes away then things return to normal. I'm currently in that nose dive waiting for the all clear to pull back up. It'll come. I'm patient-ish.

So all of this means that I need to postpone my procedure. I'm sick- so it wouldn't be a good idea anyway, and my neurologist would really like to figure out what is going on with me without introducing yet another variable into the equation. I can respect that. When you have a list as long as mine it's sometimes a good thing not to add to it.

So where does that leave me? Well... honestly? I'm a great many things. I am relieved that someone is on the ball and wants to get things squared away. I am feeling tremendous guilt because I've had so many people help me out and I feel that I'm disappointing people for postponing this shindig, I'm annoyed and frustrated to be at square one again with what currently seems like no real direction.

I promise you all this- I'm one stubborn gal and it'll take more to knock me down. Hell, I've been walking around with a damn fever for a year leaking green shit- I think I can handle a slight delay.

I'm sure that you are all understanding and supportive about my decision. It wasn't easy. But I have to make me my first priority here. And right now that means I need to get well, get tapped, and get more hours logged in the MRI machine.

I will still need your continued help and support in reaching my goal, staying positive, and keeping that feisty spirit. Looks like my boat is still adrift. Will cast anchor soon.