Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Nothing wrong with Sweats, UGGS, and a Tank Top

Man am I lucky! With some things that is.  Most people with MS do not fare well in the heat. MOST. I'm from a long line of weirdos. We do EVERYTHING differently. Take me for example. When I had my wisdom teeth taken out (16 or 17 years old I think, still in high school anyway) not only was the doctor shocked when I started saying "OW!" - his response was "YOU CAN FEEL THAT?! HOLY COW!" he was doubly shocked that I NEVER FELL ASLEEP. (These cap locks certainly make a point don't they.)

Lesson learned, I have an unusually high tolerance to medications. That's not necessarily a good thing. Fortunately for me I've had the same primary care doctor for the last 14 years. When I do need pain medicine I can ask for the super whammy, high powered, locked up in a vault guarded by SWAT types and he won't bat an eye. They hardly take the edge off. Give me an Advil and I'll die though. Severely allergic to it. Weird see?

So back to the heat... Colorado is famous for having 2 seasons- Summer and Winter. Since we practically scrape the surface of the sun living on top of mountains and all, it gets really hot in the summer, rotate us 180 degree for the winter, and it gets really cold.

When I was first diagnosed my car at the time did not have working AC. My doctor insisted that I get it fixed. I didn't... for 2 years. I did get central air installed in my house though (thank you mom)... I kept hearing horror stories about how terrible the hot Colorado summers are for people with MS so I absolutely MUST get my AC fixed in my car... It was June by the time I had any actual diagnosis. I didn't understand what all the hullabaloo was about. I felt fine-ish for the most part. Maybe a smidge weird, but nothing to write home about. But whatever, I needed a new furnace and got the air along with, and it ended up being an easy fix with my car. So I turned on the AC and Holy Crap did it hurt!

Yep, I am one of the MS weirdos that does fine in the heat but doesn't tolerate the cold. Thank God that winter here lasts about 11 3/4 months. Imagine for a moment that someone is slowly and steadily ripping your skin off from the inside. That's about how it feels to me when I get cold. It's super. My torso and my legs are the absolute worst. It hurts to move. It hurts to walk. It just plain hurts. If I cover up with a blanket the pain gets worse before it gets better. It's the only logical way to warm up thus far.

Here's what happens: I break out in a massive upper body sweat, my hair ends up soaked, literally dripping as if I'd been in a sauna while exercising and having a hose spraying me sort of dripping sweat. If that wasn't entertaining enough- my lower half starts screaming as if wildebeests are goring their way out, slipping in the pools of water that are pouring out of me thereby re-goring me, then PRESTO! All better! It's a long and painful process that frankly requires too many changes of clothing.

So today I was thrilled to take my kiddo and her gal pal to the pool. I sat in the sun, I waded in the pool, and I loved every minute of it! Cue the weather report- Cold front moving in on Thursday. Crap. It's not a massive cold front, but it's enough to turn my person into a sopping wet, gored by a wildebeest, pain riddled, freak for a day or two. So if you happen to see me hobbling around on those days in sweat pants, UGGS, and a tank top, just smile and wave because now you know.

Click here to donate to Sonja's surgery fund